CTV Fellows Program
The Columbia Technology Ventures Fellows Program is a globally-recognized Fellowship that gives Columbia graduate students and post-docs hands-on experience working on early stage technology assessments, writing marketing abstracts, and preparing marketing campaigns. The CTV Fellows Program started in 2006 with four graduate students, and has since expanded to over 30 Fellows and over 160 alumni. The Program is led by Senior Fellows, who handle the management, quality control, and marketing efforts for the group. Fellows gain exposure to intellectual property, marketing, management, editing, and licensing research. After graduation, many CTV Fellows pursue exciting careers at the intersection of science, technology, business, and law. Over 160 Alumni have worked at companies including IBM, Bristol Myers-Squibb, Allied Minds, McKinsey, Merck, Samsung Ventures, at various law firms and startups, and at universities such as UCLA, Harvard, NYU, and the University of Vermont.
Fellows work closely with CTV on a part-time, remote basis. The Program is intended to enhance our understanding of the commercial potential of Columbia technologies, while providing Fellows a valuable educational experience. Fellows are paid $25 per hour.
Apply to the CTV Fellows Program
Applications for the Fellows Program are open. Initial application deadline is September 15th, 2017. Apply here.
The Fellows Program is open to all Columbia graduate students and post-docs who are US citizens or permanent residents. We especially encourage applications from graduate students or post-docs in clinical, scientific, technical, and business disciplines, e.g. the life sciences, engineering, chemistry, computer science, and business. Candidates will be expected to commit up to eight (8) hours per week, but assignments can be completed remotely. Typical projects include assessing the commercial viability of new inventions, identifying potential licensees or investors, developing marketing materials, and analysis of patent literature.
Candidates are evaluated against the following criteria:
- Strong scientific / technical background
- Enthusiasm and willingness to take on new challenges
- Demonstrated interest in technology transfer
- Commitment and availability for 10 hours per week (for a minimum of one calendar year)
- Relevant prior experience
The Fellows Program typically holds recruiting rounds once per year, and we do encourage submissions and resubmissions from previous applicants who have taken steps to strengthen the desired skillset and experience. Relevant courses and activities are listed below.
- Marketing and entrepreneurship courses offered by Columbia Business School (GSAS students are eligible)
- Technology management courses offered by the School of Continuing Education (taught by professors from the Schools of Engineering, Business, and Law)
- Drug development course offered by the School of Public Health (P8146)
- Healthcare strategy and dealmaking courses offered by Columbia Business School
- Student clubs such as Columbia Organization of Rising Entrepreneurs (CORE), Columbia Entrepreneurs Organization (CEO), etc.
- IP and tech transfer seminars, business/science mixers, business plan competitions, etc. (join our mailing list to receive notices of these events)
If you have any questions about the program or application process, please e-mail us at email@example.com.